It will soon be time for the summer holidays and coaching courses for the Autumn term for both juniors and adults are now available to book online. These course are always very popular so book soon to avoid disappointment.
All Senior Members, whether you are a long standing member or just joined at our recent Open Day are warmly invited to our Bank Holiday American tournament on Monday 27th May. Please arrive at 1pm to sign in and warm up for a 1:30pm start.
An American tournament is a fun way to play doubles with a variety of different partners and opponents over the course of an afternoon. Each player keeps their track of the number of individual games he or she has won in each set and the winner is the person who has won the most games at the end of the day. It is a great introduction to social tennis for newcomers to the club, or those improvers who want to try out their new skills at a club session. For regular club players it is a fun alternative to the usual tennis format.
While we will try to accommodate everyone on the day, spaces are limited so please do sign up in the club house to secure your place.
For the last few months, Head Coach José has been running these brilliant monthly sessions of fun games we are calling "Coach-led Social". We have now confirmed the dates for the next three months after which there will be a summer-break.
- Saturday 4th May at 1:30pm
- Saturday 1st June at 1:30pm
- Sunday 7th July (as part of the Open Day)
José has a wealth of different ideas for the coach-led social sessions so each one will be a little bit different but expect tennis themed fun with your fellow members, followed by some enjoyable sets of doubles.
We hope to see you there!
Due to a great entry for the Junior Road to Wimbledon tournament all five courts are needed for the competition and unfortunately there will be no social tennis on Saturday 27th April.
However, the following day (Sunday 28th April) we are running an American Tournament. This is a fun and social variant on normal social tennis where participant play 4 or 5 games before rotating to a new doubles partner and opponents. The tournament winner is the individual who has won the most games in total at the end of the afternoon, but most importantly the format ensures everyone gets to meet and play with a wide variety of other members, and have an enjoyable game regardless of experience and playing standard. It is a great introduction to club social tennis if you have not been before.
After the tournament we will enjoy some Strawberries and Cream while we draw the names for the annual Club Wimbledon ballot. The Club has been allocated more tickets than ever this year so some lucky members who opted into the LTA Ballot earlier in the year will be able to purchase tickets to see some fantastic tennis in July.
- 1pm: Arrive, sign in for tournament and warm up.
- 1:30pm: Tournament starts.
- 3:45pm: Tournament concludes, strawberries & cream.
- 4pm: First name drawn from the hat.
It's a long weekend and the weather forecast is for fantastic tennis weather!
To celebrate the good weather and long weekend, we'll be having afternoon tea during Social Tennis on Saturday. Bring a cake or other sweat treat to share, and perhaps even a G&T for rehydration!
One of our members will also be lighting the barbecue around 3pm so feel free to bring something along to cook if you prefer something savoury to recharge after tennis!
Social tennis gets going about 1:30pm, and runs for as long as players wish to keep playing. We hope to see you there.
The clocks are about to "spring forward" on Sunday bringing longer evenings, perfect for a relaxed game of social tennis. To celebrate the more favourable tennis conditions and start of the tennis year, we are celebrating with a special edition of our usual Wednesday social tennis session.
Social tennis will start at the earlier time of 6:30pm and continue until the floodlight curfew at 9:30pm. Balls and floodlights will be provided as usual, plus light refreshments and drinks to power you through the evening of tennis after a long day at work.
To give us an idea of how many to cater for, please sign up in the clubhouse.
Membership for 2019/2020 is now open! Existing members should have received their renewal notice via email this week. New members signing up before the end of March are invited to come along and enjoy an extra few weeks of bonus membership for free. If you have any questions our friendly membership secretary will be happy to answer them.
Thank you to everyone who braved the blustery winds to attend our AGM on 10th March. It was great to see so many of you playing at the social session before hand, proving that our members are definitely not fair-weather tennis players!
Dates for your Diary
- Wednesday 3rd April: Summer Time Snacks and Social Tennis – celebrate the lighter evenings with a special extended edition of Wednesday night social tennis. Come along from 6:30pm to join in some convivial sets of doubles, and socialise with your fellow members with some snacks and refreshments. All standards and abilities welcome.
- Saturday 27th April: Quiz Night
- Sunday 28th April: Wimbledon Ballot & American Social Tournament
- Saturday 4th May: Coach-led Social
- Saturday 11th May: Open Day & last day to sign up for Club Championships Tournament
- Monday 27th May: Bank Holiday American Social Tournament
We are very pleased to once again be able to offer the LTA's Tennis for Kids course for 5 to 8 year olds. For just £25 every child will receive 6 high-quality lessons, developed by experts at the LTA, as well as a special Tennis For Kids Babolat racket, ball set, and personalised T-shirt delivered right to their door.
The course will run on 4-5pm on Tuesdays from 23rd April. Places are limited so sign up online today!
Here are a few important upcoming dates and events for your diary:
- Saturday 17th November: Wine Tasting Social! Sign up in the clubhouse by 2nd November.
- Saturday 1st December: American Social tournament at Wilton LTC, 2-6pm. Sign up in the clubhouse by 21st November.
- Saturday 8th December: Coach-led Social (a week later than usual due to the American tournament with Wilton).
- Saturday 29th December: American Social tournament at 1pm.
- Monday 31st December: last date to play matches in the current round of the Singles Box League, and the first round of the Winter Doubles tournaments.
And in 2019:
- Saturday 12th January & Saturday 2nd February: Coach-led Social.
- Friday 22nd February: opt-in to the Wimbledon ballot closes.
- Sunday 10th March: Annual General Meeting (AGM).
- Saturday 7th September: Finals Day (with the Sunday as backup in the event of bad weather).
Opt-in for the Wimbledon tickets ballot is also now open! To qualify for a chance to buy tickets for next year's Championships at the AELTC you need to login to the LTA members area and select the Wimbledon Ballot option. Even if you did this last year you must do it again this year to qualify. Juniors aged 11 years and over are also eligible but each one must be opted-in individually. Not an LTA member? As a member of an affiliated venue you can join for free. The LTA make the paid-for option far more prominent than the free one so make sure you select "Lite Membership" [sic] and say "Yes" to being a member of an LTA Registered Venue.
We encourage everyone to opt-in because the Club's allocation of tickets to distribute via ballot is based on the number of opt-ins by affiliated members!